Monday, July 19, 2010

The Italian Series (Part 3) : OMG - Oh My Gucci!




Gucci was at its peak when Tom Ford was at the helm back in the 90s. He was an unknown designer when he joined, but his fame rose when turned the brand around and made it desirable once again. Ford was the man who brought sexy back to the House of Gucci. When Ford announced his departure, it seemed like the end of the empire had dawned upon this Italian House.

The man who could do no wrong in the style department.


Remember those sleek looks by Tom Ford for Gucci? Everyone wanted those satin shirts and velvet pants.


Madonna was the first to wear it... and the world went crazy for Gucci.


When I think Tom Ford for Gucci, I think of the sleek gowns with metal pieces. I wish I could get my hands on some vintage pieces designed by Ford.


Following Ford's departure, Gucci Group retained three designers to continue the success of the company's flagship label: John Ray, Alessandra Facchinetti and Frida Giannini. Facchnietti was thrown in the spotlight but designed for two seasons before leaving the company. The intense pressure could be the reason why Facchinetti left. I never expected Giannini to bring Gucci back to the glory days of Ford's... but she did. The collections got better and better each season, and I have been seriously shopping there again since last year.


Frida Giannini enjoying her success at Gucci. I ended up buying the black dress as the one she wore (pictured above), when she took her bow on the Spring 2010 catwalk.


Another reason for me shopping at Gucci is the excellent service. When I was in Rome two weeks ago, I was at the Via Condotti boutique, near the Spanish steps. The sale (or "saldi" in Italian) has just started and I thought I won't be able to expect good service. To my amazement, the sales persons were all helpful and patient. A particular sales associate worth mentioning is Gabriele de Carolis. He spent an hour with me, showing me all the wonderful pieces from the sale collection, as well as the new season's offering. I ended up spending more time and money than I thought I would... but it was a very enjoyable shopping experience. If you are in Rome, you have to visit the Gucci boutique, and please look for Gabriele, and tell him "Marie Choo from Singapore recommended you". Good service should be commended, good sales associate should be supported.


Gucci at via Condotti, a stone's throw away from the Spanish Steps. I found this pic online and found it hauntingly captivating.


The beautiful interior of the Gucci boutique at Via Condotti. Opulent in gold with an elegant touch, and not gaudy and crass.



If you are not going to Rome anytime soon, you can still find good service at the Gucci boutique at The Paragon. Look for Hafiz, the sales associate who is really nice and helpful. I only buy exclusively from him as he takes the effort to set aside new items for my selection, or updates me regularly on new arrivals and sales.


Official Site : www.gucci.com

No comments:

Post a Comment