Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cooling Off Day - Must See!




What does it mean to be a Singaporean? What are your views with regards to the political scene in Singapore? What do you think of the General Election last year? These were the questions I ask myself after watching Cooling Off Day, a W!ld Rice production.



Covering a wide social and political spectrum, the play by Alfian Sa'at is based on the transcripts of his real life interviews with various Singaporeans, from taxi drivers to teachers, bloggers to civil servants. Heck! Even sex workers from Geylang! No kidding!



The talented cast comprising Jo Kukathas, Janice Koh, Neo Swee Lin, Rodney Oliverio, Peter Sau, and Najib Soiman took on multiple roles each to represent the different voices of the everyday Singaporeans. As vibrant as the last General Election, the play is funny, honest, realistic but delivered with a sense of humour.



The next General Election is five years away and I am not even sure if I get the chance to vote (River Valley where I live is part of the Tanjong Pagar district which was a walk-over in the election last year), but the play certainly got me thinking about the importance of my right to vote, what I want from my government, and how I would like to do my part to shape my nation.



It doesn't matter if you are pro PAP or Opposition, this is one play that will unite Singaporeans as one nation. You might get a chance to vote again, but you might not get a chance to watch Cooling Off Day again if you miss it. It is showing now till 11 March at SOTA Drama Theatre.


For more information, please visit www.wildrice.com.sg


No comments:

Post a Comment