Saturday, April 9, 2011

Kha @ Martin No. 38


I have been a fan of KHA since its early days at Hort Park. For those who have been following the dining scene in Singapore, you probably would know that KHA has relocated to new chic neighborhood... to the latest SC Global development named Martin No. 38.

There is no shortage of Thai restaurants in Singapore but I count only a handful as my favourites. The new KHA is definitely top of my list. Why? It offers modern interpretation of classic Thai cuisine without compromising on the flavours, and yet offers a creative and innovative approach to make the dishes exciting and unique. This is why KHA is in a league of its own.


Its interiors are designed by award-winning, Melbourne-based studio Hecker Guthrie, who wanted to create the ambience of a traditional Thai house but without being too literal. The use of special lighting creates a theatrical ambience... rather regal I must say.


I love the use of dark wood against an industrial lofty space. If you look around, you will also find decor items that add on to the authentic and vintage ambience that KHA is trying to resonate. A far cry from those Thai restaurants with kitschy decor.


The private dining room that can sit 10 pax.


Below are some of my favourite dishes...

Tom Yum Goong
Hot and Sour King Prawn Broth

Tip: I would recommend for you to order one portion to be shared among two persons. Tell the waiter that it is for sharing and you will get served two small bowls instead of a big one. You can also choose the spice intensity.


Saur Rong Hai
Thai Beef Salad of Seared Strip Loin

*Seriously, the best Thai beef salad I ever had!


Wok Fried Tiger Prawns with Crispy Quail Eggs, Sticky Tamarind Sauce, Fried Shallots, Lime, Dried Chili.

*This is a chef's special. If you love prawns, you have to try this dish. Each order comes with two king prawns. I also like the texture of the crispy quail eggs.


Kai Chiaw
Wok Fried Omelette Topped with Thai Herb Salad

Tip: You can choose the option of chicken, pork or crab meat. I LOVE this omelette with crab meat. I know it sounds like a simple dish, but it left me craving for more. It is a must-try!


Khao Neaw Ma Muang
Mango and Sticky Rice Drizzled with Coconut Pandan Sauce

*Mango and sticky rice is a staple in all Thai restaurants. What I love about Kha's version is the use of Pandan leaves to flavour the cocount cream sauce.


Thap Thim Krwap
Red Rubies with Coconut Jasmine Syrup


What makes Kha's version of red rubies stand out is the use of Jasmine flower and syrup. It gives it a touch of floral complexity.


Well, I love the food so much that I went back twice in a week. That says a lot, doesn't it? I will be back at Martin No. 38 next week to check out Kha's adjourning restaurant, the second outlet of GRAZE.

For more information about KHA, please visit http://www.kha.sg/ or its Facebook's page http://www.facebook.com/kha.martin38

No comments:

Post a Comment