Saturday, May 7, 2011

Anti Cancer : A New Way Of Life



I always believe that cancer is a modern day disease. Unhealthy lifestyle and stressful work life are the main contributing factors. I took my health for granted until recently, as I thought I was relatively fit and cancer won't affect me. Prior to my recent pre-cancer condition, I exercised occasionally, I didn't consume much alcohol, I smoked socially, and I ate red meat in moderation. I was the average normal adult... till I became part of a statistic, when I was told I have pre-cancer cells in my cervix. I am sharing my experience here in hope that it will help you and the people whom you care about, when you still have a chance to make a change in your life.

A dear friend of mine highly recommended the book "Anti Cancer". This book changed my life and my lifestyle. Ignorance is definitely not a bliss when it comes to strengthening your immune system. I wished I had read this book earlier but it was first published in 2007. I am thankful I am reading it while I am at pre-cancer stage, so I still have a fighting chance before it develops into cancer.


Why I wrote "Anticancer: A New Way of Life" - by Dr. Servan-Schreiber
"This book is above all my testimony as a witness and fellow sufferer. I had cancer. I’m cured now, and I wanted to share what I learned with other people. Being a doctor doesn’t protect you from cancer. But because I’m a doctor and a scientist, I was able to take my knowledge to its limits and learn to look after myself. I wanted to write the book I would have liked to read – the book that, if it had existed, would have helped me to avoid falling ill, and that would have helped me learn very quickly how to give my cancer treatments the best possible chance of working."

With the knowledge that I have gained from the book, I am incorporating simple achievable lifestyle changes that can make a difference to my health.


#1 - Drinking at least 3 cups of green tea daily

Green tea contains numerous polyphenols called catechins. One of these is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a powerful nutritional molecules against the formation of new blood vessels by cancerous cells. Green tea also acts as a detoxifier for the body as it aids the liver in eliminating cancerous toxins from the body more rapidly.


#2 - Taking Omega-3 supplements

The modern day diet is lacking in Omega-3 and it is important to take the supplements to keep the Omega-3 and Omega-6 balance in check. Omega-6s stock fats and promote rigidity in cells as well as coagulation and inflammation in response to outside aggression. They stimulate fatty cells from birth onwards. Omega-3s does the opposite by making cell membranes more flexible and reduce inflammation, as well as limiting the production of fat cells.


#3 - Eating organic food when I can

We are being exposed to many chemicals on a daily basis and the best bet we have to reduce ingestion of harmful chemicals such as pesticides, is to choose organic and free-range animals products whenever we can. I shop at Cold Storage (a small selection of decently priced and fresh vegetables, fruits and dairy products), Brown Rice Paradise (Tanglin Mall) and Four Seasons Market (Great World City).


#4 - Cutting down on my refined sugar and white flour intake

When we eat sugar or white flour - foods with high glycemic index, our blood levels of glucose rise rapidly. Today we know that the peaks of insulin stimulate not only the growth of cancer cells but also their capacity to invade neighbouring tissues. By reducing the intake of refined sugar and white flour, skin will also be healthier. Not too bad a proposition. I have switched to agave nectar as a sugar substitute and making my own low-fat sugar-free frozen yogurt instead of eating ice cream.


Prevention is better than cure and this book can teach you how to boost your immunity. This book is also perfect for those who are facing cancer-related issues. This book will give you the hope and facts that you need to overcome your fear and pain.


For more information, please visit the website: www.anticancerbook.com

1 comment: