Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Organic GLOW



My recent pre-cancer scare ignited my desire to seek out good wholesome organic food in Singapore. I started with what I have known for years - Glow Juice Bar & Cafe, located at Hilton Hotel. Like most of my friends, I remembered it as a place offering healthy food that was bland and uninteresting. However, my first visit there after a hiatus of 5 years changed my perception completely. Think organic Asian delights such as Penang Laksa and Vietnamese Pho Bo! Yumz!


Still the same unpretentious cafe located at the 2nd level of Hilton Hotel.


*Penang Assam Laksa - S$28
Peranakan spicy noodle soup with pineapples, cucumber and fish flakes
This is a 'weekly' special so it's not always on the menu. I love it so much that I asked the cafe to call me when it's available again. It is difficult to believe that this entire dish was made with organic produce. It's a tad pricey compared to the usual Penang Laksa from hawker stalls (S$6-S$10) but it was worth every cent. I can't wait to eat this again.


Phad Thai - S$19
Thai style friend noodles with deep sea prawns, lettuce and eggs.
My friend who ordered this dish said it's the best phad thai he ever had... and he's one who goes to Bangkok regularly for work. I tried it and I can't agree more. You can really taste the good wholesome flavours of this dish, and you can eat it even without the usual garnish of sugar, chilli flakes and fish sauce. This is perhaps the healthiest phad thai one can find.


Vietnamese Pho - S$20
Noodle soup with grass-fed beef fillet and Asian herbs and spices
Seriously, no MSG? I am in Pho Bo heaven. It was the tastiest broth I ever had and my foodie friend also agreed. Modern day diet uses too much artificial seasonings and going back to basics made me realised that the same dishes made with organic produce can taste so much better.


Alaskan Crab Salad - S$24
With shaved mango tossed with zesty mustard herb chilli
The serving portion is just right to create your own "salad and soup" combo. I ordered this with a watercress soup. This appetising salad is very Thai style and a departure from the normal boring salad. I definitely didn't feel "deprived" even though I was eating healthily.



Sugar Free Chocolate Cake - S$14
Guilt-free indulgence. Need I say more? The other yummy dessert worth trying is the Mango & White Chocolate tart, which I forgot to take a pic of it as I was greedily pigging out.

I go there weekly for healthy lunches. Great variety of power juices too! Do note that it opens on Monday through Saturday, 11am to 6pm... and is closed on Sunday and Public Holiday. They also don't take reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment